Skip to main content

Swift 4

There are a lot of languages out there to choose from when it comes to programming. Some are similar to each other and some are different from each other. Some are designed for a single purpose and some are designed for multiple purposes.

A general programming language that was built to account for modern safety, performance, and software design patterns which is safe, fast, and expressive is a language called Swift.

Swift is currently in it's fourth stage and the project became open source on Github in early December 2015. It is written with the languages; C++, Python, and Objective-C. It is associated with it's very well designed and detailed website called swift.org.

Swift is used to create a good language for uses ranging from mobile to desktop to cloud services programming. For the most part, this language is being used by developers to develop applications for macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS.

Although it is open source, Apple has not allowed the Github community to work on or view issues. They want to keep the issues internal in the company, but they do replicate the commits when issues are resolved. That means that the community stays up to date with the current state of the project at all times. There are currently 505 contributors to the Swift4 project, which is for the most part actual internal Apple employees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first bug fix: Completed

Fixing bugs is a lot of work. Fixing bugs for an open source project is even more hard work. If you have no idea what you are doing, it is very difficult to contribute. Fortunately, the open source world welcomes new people. My experience with working in open source was difficult but so satisfying. I ran into a few bumps before I could actually start working. I talk about those bumps in my previous blog posts. I realized that I had no idea where to start. I had never worked with a project this big and I was intimidated. I did not know where to start. I was having a very hard time, my head was hurting, I was feeling dumb, and I was beginning to give up. But then help came to help me. One of the guys over at Mozilla was a big help. He took his time to email me personally to check up on me. I was shocked that he did that. I replied and we started chatting on IRC. He wanted to help me and he was very knowledgable. He suggested another bug for me to work on to get more familiar with t

My Journey of Fixing Bugs...Again

Last week, I left comments asking to be assigned to bugs in Thimble. I was excited to get started but I was informed that the bugs were already taken. And the worst part is that the person who was assigned is a fellow class member. I didn't know if I should be disappointed or happy for him. Anyways, as soon as I found out that none of my bugs were going to be assigned to me, I started commenting on other projects like Balrog, and I managed to land three bugs! Two in Balrog and one in network-pulse-api. I want to work on Balrog first. At first I was having a lot of trouble trying to build the Balrog project. I was running into errors and I kept figuring out how to fix them and I just couldn't get passed one. I was searching for days, i was just staring and not getting anywhere at one point. Finally, I decided to ask my teacher for help and he simply said, talk on IRC. I was a little skeptical but I did what he said and I was greeted and helped within minutes. The guy helpi

My Journey of Fixing Bugs

Fixing bugs in the open source world is completely new to me. It's something I've never done before and it is something that I am really looking forward to. Being able to say that I've contributed to so and so sounds very fulfilling. I am ready to start working on bugs. To start off, I picked three bugs and I left a comment asking to be assigned if no one else is assigned. So now I have to play the waiting game. I will be doing research on the bugs so I can be prepared for when/if I do get it assigned. I chose two bugs from Thimble and one bug from Firefox(Android OS). The android one seems simple, and can be found  here . I'm not really interested in this one but I'm using it as a backup to my backup. It seems to be just cleaning up and renaming. Which I think I can manage. The runner up to that bug is a bug from Thimble which can be found  here . This bug is a feature request that I think I am capable of fulfilling. It is to add line numbers to the console o