Skip to main content

Automated Testing

Automated testing is a very useful feature that is simple to implement in any open source project. It allows the testing to be automated to ensure that nothing will break when things are changed. In the open source world, code is changed quite often so having automated testing can make it easy to track and manage errors and we can know if the code is properly written to pass the tests. Overall, it is very beneficial in open source programming. Travis CI makes it very easy to link your Github page and the repos on it. It is very easy to get started and I would recommend it to everyone! I always used to do my testing by outputting the results and comparing it with whatever I had in my head, now, it does it all on it's own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentation

Documenting everything is extremely important. It gives everyone the information they need whenever they need it. Github makes it very easy to have beautiful pages written in markdown rendered automatically. It's nice and easy to do. Creating a README in the root of the project is common practice and is even automatically rendered when the project is open in Github, under all the file names. I've been looking at quite a few different projects and they all have README files. It usually includes an introduction to the project, how to set it up, how to run it, how to contribute to it, major credits to people, etc... Essentially, it holds important information about the project that anyone has access to. Along with the README file, we can comment on our actual code so hackers who read the code can know what does what. It allows the creator to recall what they wrote in the past and it invites new people to understand what has been written. It is really important that comments are ...

Building Mozilla Firefox

Trying to build Mozilla Firefox was such an experience. I have mixed feelings about if it's a good or bad one but nonetheless, I will share my experience. I built mine on my macbook pro running version 10.12. The things I had and/or installed were the following: -Terminal -Xcode -Homebrew -Python -Rust -Mozilla Firefox Code Downloading the Mozilla Firefox code was the simplest part, it took long but it was simple. The real challenge was trying to compile the code. The amount of time it takes to successfully build it is over an hour. Imagine reaching the end of the compilation, seeing that there is an error, and the compiler stopping. This was the case for six days! It took a long time to get this working. At first I thought there was permission issues so I tried building with sudo. This was not the right thing to do as it messed up my future attempts to recompile the code. I was told to remove the object directory and start again without sudo. The next thing that wa...