Skip to main content

Fixing Bugs Again

I started working on Open Source Projects again and I had a difficult time getting started again. A big part of my problem was not having enough storage on my computer. After moving some things around and deleting files and programs I don't use, I was able to clone a couple projects and I was finally ready to start running them and replicating the issues. 

This time around, I worked on three projects; Thimble, Brackets, and Balrog. The bugs that I fixed for Thimble turned out to be fixes on Brackets so the pull requests were made there but referenced from Thimble. Overall, getting started was much easier than last time because I already had the experience and possibly the necessary files on my system to begin.

After being assigned a couple bugs, I began to work on them and I have made a couple pull request for the fixes. They have passed all tests and I am just waiting on it to be accepted and merged into the actual project! That is my goal. I will need to follow up if anything goes wrong and I will update my blog with more updates. 

Everyone I've worked with so far is very helpful and nice and welcoming. Balrog had a nice IRC where I joined and was immediately greeted by a couple people. A lot of the conversations I had was there and they directed me and helped me fix the bug. This time around I tried to not ask but when I got stuck, I did end up asking for help. Very helpful people and I really enjoy conversing with the Balrog team.

For Thimble, my teacher was one of the hotshots in the project so he was the one directing me and helping me along the way. For the most part, I was able to figure out what was wrong and fix it. All my pull requests passed the automated tests and they are waiting on being reviewed. It seems like the project owners are on Christmas break or vacation or something so it doesn't look like I'll be getting merged anytime soon. The project did look inactive at the time but who knows, I will definitely have an update when things change.

This time around, I was already familiar with Github because I've had a lot of experience in the past couple months. I had no problems with forking, cloning, committing, and merging.

I had a fun time working on bugs and I'm going to try to work on some more before the new year to gain even more experience. I  am also looking forward to taking the next Open Source Development class next year at my school so I can continue to learn and contribute to Open Source.


Popular posts from this blog

Second Attempt At Fixing Open Source Bugs

In my second attempt at fixing open source bugs, I want to prove that I have grown from the first attempt. My first attempt was fixing a single bug, requesting a pull request, and getting approved! My goal this time around is to work on more than one bug, I plan to work on 2-3 and my ultimate goal is to get all of them approved! There is no better satisfaction than getting approved!  Since I was working with Mozilla projects before, I decided to stay in that bubble and work on Thimble/Brackets. I have currently asked to work on a couple bugs like this  and this  and once I get the okay to do so, I will begin to try to fix them. As of right now, I am still researching for more bugs to work on, but at the time of this blog post, I do not have any backups.  Due to the strike, a lot of things are altered in my schools semester. Surprisingly, all my teachers were very accommodating and they dropped tests and assignments and overall, it's making the end of the semester less over


Documenting everything is extremely important. It gives everyone the information they need whenever they need it. Github makes it very easy to have beautiful pages written in markdown rendered automatically. It's nice and easy to do. Creating a README in the root of the project is common practice and is even automatically rendered when the project is open in Github, under all the file names. I've been looking at quite a few different projects and they all have README files. It usually includes an introduction to the project, how to set it up, how to run it, how to contribute to it, major credits to people, etc... Essentially, it holds important information about the project that anyone has access to. Along with the README file, we can comment on our actual code so hackers who read the code can know what does what. It allows the creator to recall what they wrote in the past and it invites new people to understand what has been written. It is really important that comments are