Skip to main content

MIT License

License agreements tend to be very long and annoying to read. We see them all the time, creating accounts, using services, etc... They are everywhere. They go on for pages and pages and no one ever seems to read it. They just click the agree button and carry on. For the most part, users don't run into problems, but company's still need to protect themselves in the case that something out of the ordinary does happen. They protect themselves by creating their terms and conditions.

In these terms and conditions, there is usually other licenses that need to be followed as well. One license in particular that I want to talk about is the Massachusetts Institute of Technology license or better knows as the MIT license.

This license is short, in fact it's only 171 words long. It's easy to read and for the most part is clear about the information it is trying to tell. I personally found it easy to read. I found it unnecessary to dig deeper and look into every section a few words at a time.

Kyle Mithcell who is in both law and technology has a blog post who examines the license extensively and intensively. He digs deep into the meaning of every word and every part of the license.

A few things I found interesting is that this is a license where anyone can take anything and use it for their own gain. Meaning that they can sell it and profit from it without giving a percentage to the owners. It's an odd license and it sounds like something that no business would ever want because a business is supposed to make money. Which leads me to the next interesting part.

This license lets people take what's already there and implement it in another way or create a different use for it. They are free to do as they wish but there is one catch. They cannot blame the creator for any of their problems. If the created software gets hacked, they have absolutely no one to blame but themselves because they have to follow the license agreement to use the software. This opens up innovation with current software but it's risky because all responsibility is on the users of the software.

There is absolutely no warranty with this agreement. People are free to do whatever they want and if something goes wrong, they can't turn around and say there's something wrong with your code. They have absolutely no right to do so. They agreed to it and the owners are not responsible for any reason.

Overall, this is an interesting license that would be used for certain scenarios. The best scenario I can think of is students work that can potentially impact the world. An idea that they have can be implemented by bigger companies with much more resources and they can see their name on the license. Although not much credit is given, the name is in the license section and they can proudly say I started this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first bug fix: Completed

Fixing bugs is a lot of work. Fixing bugs for an open source project is even more hard work. If you have no idea what you are doing, it is very difficult to contribute. Fortunately, the open source world welcomes new people. My experience with working in open source was difficult but so satisfying. I ran into a few bumps before I could actually start working. I talk about those bumps in my previous blog posts. I realized that I had no idea where to start. I had never worked with a project this big and I was intimidated. I did not know where to start. I was having a very hard time, my head was hurting, I was feeling dumb, and I was beginning to give up. But then help came to help me. One of the guys over at Mozilla was a big help. He took his time to email me personally to check up on me. I was shocked that he did that. I replied and we started chatting on IRC. He wanted to help me and he was very knowledgable. He suggested another bug for me to work on to get more familiar with t

My Journey of Fixing Bugs...Again

Last week, I left comments asking to be assigned to bugs in Thimble. I was excited to get started but I was informed that the bugs were already taken. And the worst part is that the person who was assigned is a fellow class member. I didn't know if I should be disappointed or happy for him. Anyways, as soon as I found out that none of my bugs were going to be assigned to me, I started commenting on other projects like Balrog, and I managed to land three bugs! Two in Balrog and one in network-pulse-api. I want to work on Balrog first. At first I was having a lot of trouble trying to build the Balrog project. I was running into errors and I kept figuring out how to fix them and I just couldn't get passed one. I was searching for days, i was just staring and not getting anywhere at one point. Finally, I decided to ask my teacher for help and he simply said, talk on IRC. I was a little skeptical but I did what he said and I was greeted and helped within minutes. The guy helpi

My Journey of Fixing Bugs

Fixing bugs in the open source world is completely new to me. It's something I've never done before and it is something that I am really looking forward to. Being able to say that I've contributed to so and so sounds very fulfilling. I am ready to start working on bugs. To start off, I picked three bugs and I left a comment asking to be assigned if no one else is assigned. So now I have to play the waiting game. I will be doing research on the bugs so I can be prepared for when/if I do get it assigned. I chose two bugs from Thimble and one bug from Firefox(Android OS). The android one seems simple, and can be found  here . I'm not really interested in this one but I'm using it as a backup to my backup. It seems to be just cleaning up and renaming. Which I think I can manage. The runner up to that bug is a bug from Thimble which can be found  here . This bug is a feature request that I think I am capable of fulfilling. It is to add line numbers to the console o